Are you looking for English Notes for class XII of West Bengal Board? Here this is complete notes of an important chapter of English B. Download the notes of the chapter ‘Thank You Ma’am’ by Langston Hughes. It has been prepared to help you in your exam preparation. It has questions and answers of 1 Mark and 6 Marks. Download the PDF file attached. If you find this helpful please Share with your friends and don’t forget to comment below.
THANK YOU MA'AM NOTES | WEST BENGAL BOARD CLASS XII NOTES | ENGLISH SECOND LANGUAGE
CLICK THE LINKS BELOW TO DOWNLOAD PDF FILE OF THE NOTES
(If you don’t have any PDF reader first CLICK HERE to download Adobe PDF Reader to View/Download the files)
Short Answer Type (Mark 1)
1. Who is the writer of the story ‘Thank You Ma’am’?
Ans: Langston Hughes is the writer of the story ‘Thank You Ma’am’.
2. What was the name of the large lady in the story ‘Thank You Ma’am’?
Ans: The name of the lady was Luella Bates Washington Jones.
3. When the lady was walking down the street it was – Ans: about 11 o’clock at night.
4. What was the age of the boy in the story ‘Thank You Ma’am’?
Ans: The age of the boy was about fourteen or fifteen years.
5. What was the name of the boy in the story ‘Thank You Ma’am’?
Ans: The name of the boy was Roger.
6. The boy proposed to go to the shop to buy –
7. The price of the cake that the lady had bought was-
Ans: ten cents.
8. Where did the lady work?
Ans: The lady worked at a hotel beauty shop.
9. How much money did the lady offer the boy?
Ans: The lady offered the boy ten dollars.
10. The boy in the story ‘Thank You Ma’am’ wanted to buy a pair of – Ans: Blue suede shoes.
11. The boy could hardly say more than ‘Thank You Ma’am’ because – Ans: The door was shut.
12. What kind of purse did Mrs. Luella Bates have?
Ans:Mrs. Luella Bates had a large purse with a long strap and it had almost everything in it.
13. What was Roger’s final words to Mrs. Jones?
Ans: Roger’s final words to Mrs. Jones were ‘Thank you’.
Descriptive Type (Marks 6)
1. Sketch the character of Mrs. Jones in the story ‘Thank You Ma’am’. Or, What type of woman was Mrs. Jones? How did Mrs. Jones behave with Roger when they arrived home?Or, What are the ways by which Mrs. Jones reformed Roger?
Ans: Mrs. Luella Bates Washington Jones is the main character of the short story ‘Thank You Ma’am’. She was a large woman who worked at a hotel beauty shop. She has been presented by Langston Hughes as an affectionate woman. She caught the boy Roger when he was trying to snatch her purse. She felt sympathy for the urchin. Instead of taking him to the police station, she took him to her home. She made him washed his dirty face and gave him a towel. She fed him cake and cocoa also. She understood that it was not a crime what he did. She believed in reformation. So she gave him ten dollars to buy the shoes that he wanted. She also taught him not to snatch purse of anybody else and advised him to behave well in future. She showed motherly love for the boy and her unconditional love moved him.
(CLICK THE LINK BELOW FOR COMPLETE NOTES)
NOTE: There may be some typing mistakes in the notes. So please try to rectify them with the help of your teachers. Good Luck!